Our work stretches across a variety of typologies, programs and scales.
We are passionate about what we do and above all, we enjoy the
process of making great places for people to work, live and enjoy.
A former Beaux-Arts style Magistrates Court in Grays provided a strong architectural context for conversion into 40 offices to create an Enterprise Centre for new business.
Built in 1929, the symmetrical design also housed prison holding cells. Our design response was informed by the former use; the main staircase balustrade consisting of stainless steel mesh reflecting the penal history using a contemporary product. Elsewhere, exposed brickwork and services, and a raw stainless steel kitchen form a social hub in Reception with an urban chic theme.
All joinery is deliberately dressed down with birch plywood doors, cupboards and boardroom furniture to emphasise the building's Art Deco past. Within the lofty Courtrooms, mezzanine floors have been introduced and original iron roof trusses exposed as a feature.
Location:Turner Street, London
TRP worked closely with Spitalfields Historic Building Trust who successfully saved 11 houses built between 1807 and 1811 earmarked for demolition.
With original stair panelling, fireplaces, cornicing, and internal joinery they formed a rare survival. The houses were extended at the rear and roof. Rear extensions are freely expressed in clapboarding, their form and variety dictated by individual needs much like the brick "back- additions" added to mid- century London terraces to provide flushing toilets. The houses were restored in a sensitive self-build approach by Trust Members working in a collaborative team with craftspeople.
The quality of the conservation work has been recognised by receiving the Country Life Restoration of the Century Award 2010
Client:Thurrock TG Development
The adjoining site to High House Farm has been selected as the location for the Royal Opera House's new Production Campus, providing a home for the ROH state-of-the-art production facilities, a new National Skills Academy for Performing Arts known as the Backstage Centre, Artists Studios and a range of creative businesses. High House Farm site consists of a Grade 2 Listed House, Farm Buildings and a Dovecote.
Our approach was to absorb new uses into the site with minimum impact on its character including a café and a multi-purpose events hall in the Great Barn, a new office building, heritage display areas in former Stabling and meeting facilities in former Cattle Sheds.
Historic maps provided evidence for the layout of the quartered walled gardens. Half the Gardens were restored to an orchard planted with historic varieties of Mirabelle, Pear, Cherry and Apple. The remaining half was laid to lawn with herbaceous borders providing space for public performances, events and a much needed retreat for local people.
Location:Cheshire Street, London
This uniform Grade 2 Listed terrace probably built by Wilham Reddall in 1870 had become a blight on east London with many fire damaged shops.
Floors were strengthened and a new attic storey built at the eastern end following historical precedent. A total of seventeen houses were restored. Nine of the houses were converted to office space for local businesses above showrooms. The remaining eleven houses provide family housing with small rear gardens at the rear for a local housing Association.
A new house was replicated at Number 40 Cheshire Street destroyed by a WWII bomb. Our client, in partnership with the local Council required a careful repair scheme which could 'reinvent' the derelict street to create a vibrant row of boutique shops which has successfully sparked the wider regeneration of the famous Brick Lane area in east London.
Location:Lordship Lane, London
549 Lordship Lane was built in 1873 using "Drake's Patent Concrete Building Apparatus". It was Drake's own house showcasing his a pioneeering slip-form concrete construction method using wrought iron shuttering.
The house holds a unique place in the historical development of concrete building, pre-dating steel reinforcement and the final architectural expression of the material in the modern movement some fifty years later. The project involved repair and conversion to provide five affordable apartments for a local housing association.
Our first task was to unearth and catalogue buried sections of foliate stop moulds, window surrounds and the porch. The superstructure was severely fractured and lacked reinforcement leading to collapsed window bays and severe structural damage. Missing concrete elements were recast in Lytag concrete to distinguish the repairs from Drake’s original fabric. Missing decorative window moulds glued back into place. The "pebble pressed" shingle finish applied by Drake to waterproof and decorate his house was carefully reproduced. Eleven broken sections of the porch were arranged over timber centring and drilled out, enabling stainless steel raisin anchors to be inserted, similar to the approach of a bone fracture repair.
Category:Cultural, Educational facilities
and Business Accommodation
High House Production Park,
Creative and Cultural Industry
High House Production Park is a restored 16th century Farmstead with extensive walled gardens now accommodating a creative centre of national importance. A series of exemplary buildings have been successfully inserted into the historic Farmstead to house the Royal Opera House workshops and Costume Stores, ACME Artist Studios, The Backstage Centre and National Skills Academy for the performing arts.
TRP were appointed to take a new central Reception building for the National College incorporating a creative business hub, forward from the earlier feasibility work through planning to construction. This phase of development includes multi-use accommodation comprising 24 twin en-suite student bedrooms, 9000 sq. ft of commercial workspace, site-wide catering and event facilities as well as a new technical store. The building is to be used as a venue for creative events such as exhibitions, pop up performances, poetry and music events as well as meetings and conferences. It will provide restaurant and cafe facilities and a place to sit and relax in the attractive historic gardens of High House Farm for Park staff, Artists, College students and the local community.
The new building is conceived in a contemporary style, referencing the clean lines and simplicity of 19th century industrial British architecture or modern Dutch housing. Located to the south of the central square within the Park, it completes the space to form a central piazza creating a landmark structure that will complement the strong contemporary and historic architecture of the site.
Location:Gillsender Street, Bow
Tree ring analysis at Bromley Hall indicates a build date of c.1490. The Hall provided rest and entertainment at the embarkation point for the Royal Hunt returning to Greenwich Palace.
The main Hall is Tudor but the windows and roof are Queen Anne. The south extension was added in 1928 providing accommodation for St Katherine's hospital for sick children. Each phase has been meticulously conserved to that period. Historic damage to 15th century partition daub enabled us to display Tudor oak cross lathing. A glass window in the floor allows understanding of the stone walls of a predecessor Medieval manor beneath.
Within the Hallway an impressive 17th century black and white grotesque painting of a mythical beast supporting a cartouche and early 18th century painted fictional oak panelling were found. A Tudor oak-framed doorway was discovered during the works, decorated with carvings of a hound and hind in chase which, together with evidence of original yellow paint sequences was conserved. The Tudor Hunting Lodge was converted to offices for a local Regeneration Agency.
Historic England have described Bromley Hall as an exemplar of conservation-led regeneration.
Location:Hickling, North Norfolk
Hickling Hall is a brick-built Carolean manor house with diaper vitrified brick headers and stone dressings, probably constructed for Sir Martin Calthorpe in the late 1600s.
The house was totally destroyed by fire on Boxing Day 2014. After the fire, all original fabric was carefully sorted and set aside for condition assessment. Our starting point was to reset the maximum historical fabric. Some 8,000 of the original bricks have been reclaimed and stored for re-use.
Damaged Caen stone window hoods, cills and keystones, carved brick quoins and gauged arches have been carefully recorded and this provides evidence of sizes, shapes and setting out for new carved stone and brick replacements. French Lavoux Dore limestone provides a matching freestone alternative to Caen stone as the original quarries are largely exhausted.
The philosophical justification for replicating this historic house lies not in its rebuilt fabric, but firstly in the intangible heritage value held in local knowledge of the house as a source of identity and sense of place which lives on in the communal memory of the owner, his family and the local community in Hickling; and secondly in the authentic cultural value of the architectural composition of Hickling Hall as a significant work by William Winde, one of the principal English country house architects of the late 17th century.
Location:Borough of Haringey, London
The Tottenham Green War Memorial, designed by the sculptor Louis Fredrick Roslyn of German decent, and erected in 1923, receiving Grade II listed status in 2002.
The rich symbolism of the Memorial survives human conflict over time. The centre-piece is a 3 metre high figure a winged angel standing on a bronze globe holding a laurel wreath to her breast - an allegorical figure of world peace. The stone shaft supports a down pointing bronze sword - a mythological symbol of the divine connection between the ruler of land and God.
TRP carried out the historical research, specified and supervised the meticulous repair work to the Art Deco Memorial. Following cleaning trials agreed with Historic England, The War Memorial Trust and the Conservation Officer, modern metallic paint finishes were removed from bronze statuary and replaced with a combination of carnauba and microcrystalline waxes which were coloured using an oil mix to match the original dark shade recorded in historic photographs. Modern black paint was removed from lead inscriptions and missing letters replaced using the traditional site-chiselled method. New flush bronze gratings were cast in a foundry to replace inappropriate surface mounted and padlocked modern gratings.
The original silver-grey Cornish granite, sourced from the now closed Kit Quarry, Callington was matched by Aberdeen Balmoral to replace inappropriate modern concrete paving. The paving was re-laid in a lime-based mortar bed and pointed in lime mortar coloured grey using ground Portland stone dust. The Memorial was opened by the Mayor of Haringey on 16th May 2016.